If you’re a teacher or a student within the K-12 educational system, the cost of design software might be a concern. Canva, a design tool that has gained widespread popularity for its ease of use, offers a solution that’s worth your attention. The premium version of the platform, known as Canva Pro, is available at zero cost to K-12 teachers and students who meet certain eligibility criteria.
This isn’t a limited version or a short-term free trial, it’s the full Canva Pro suite with all its advanced features. From classroom collaboration to real-time feedback and a plethora of design options, Canva Pro offers a comprehensive set of tools that can make your educational journey more engaging and effective. Now, let’s get into the specifics to understand how this works.
What is Canva’s Normal Plan Pricing
Canva offers a free basic plan that provides users with a selection of free templates and up to 5GB of cloud storage. The premium version, Canva Pro, costs $12.99 per month or $119.99 per year.
Canva Pro offers features like a Brand Kit for saving brand colors, fonts, and logos. It also includes a Magic Resize tool that adjusts designs to fit different platforms. Users get access to a library of over 100 million stock photos.
Canva for Students and Teachers
Canva for Education is designed so that it can be accessible to everyone, including students with disabilities.
- Certified K-12 teachers in teaching positions
- School librarians
- Learning support assistants
- curriculum specialist
- Homeschool educators registered with a government organization
Teachers need to prove their eligibility by providing an official teacher identification document. For example, a teaching license or certification, a Letter confirming employment at a school, a School ID indicating teaching status, etc.
How to Get Canva for Students and Teachers (Step-by-Step Way)
Step 1 – Go to Canva > Education
Step 2 – Click ‘Get Verified‘: You’ll usually find this button multiple times through the page.
Step 3 – Fill in Your Details: Complete the sign-up form with your name, school name, and other required information. It is preferred to give your education email address as well to increase your chances of getting verified.
Step 4 – Upload Proof: If needed, upload additional documents like your teaching certification to prove your eligibility.
Step 5 – Wait for Approval: Canva will review your application, and you’ll receive an email once you’re approved.
Getting Canva Pro as a student is a bit straightforward process. However, your teacher needs to have a Canva for education. The process is as follows:
- Get an Invitation: Ask your teacher to invite you to their Canva for Education classroom. They can do this by clicking on ‘Class,’ then ‘People,’ and then ‘Invite People.’
- Check Your Email: Look for an invitation email from Canva.
- Click on the Invitation Link: This will direct you to Canva’s website.
- Sign Up or Log In: If you already have a Canva account, log in. If not, you’ll need to create one.
- Join the Classroom: Once logged in, you’ll automatically join your teacher’s Canva classroom.
- Start Using Canva: Now you can start using Canva for Education with all its premium features.
Who is Not Eligible
- Inactive K-12 Certified Teachers
- Municipal or County Librarians
- Preschool and Daycare Assistants
- Unlicensed Homeschool Educators
- Private and Volunteer Tutors
- Higher Education Staff and Lecturers
- College and University Students
- Continuing Education Programs
- Adult Learning Centers
- Extracurricular Activity Providers
- Non-Educational Non-Profits
- Educational Start-Ups in Early Stages
- Parents of K-12 Students
Features and Benefits for Teachers
- Lesson Plan Templates: No need to start from scratch. Canva offers a variety of lesson plan templates that can be customized in minutes.
- Interactive Presentations: Teachers can create engaging, interactive presentations that include quizzes, polls, and videos, making the learning experience more dynamic.
- Real-Time Feedback: The platform allows teachers to give instant, constructive feedback on students’ projects, fostering a more interactive and responsive learning environment.
- Collaboration: With Canva Pro for Teams, teachers can collaborate with colleagues on educational materials, share resources, and even co-teach lessons.
- Unlimited Storage: All your teaching materials, from lesson plans to worksheets, can be stored in one place, making organization a breeze.
- Global Access: Canva for Education is not restricted to any country, making it a fantastic tool for international collaborations or exchange programs.
Features and Benefits for Students
- Group Projects: Canva’s collaboration feature allows multiple students to work on a project simultaneously, making teamwork easier and more efficient.
- Portfolio Creation: Students can create digital portfolios to showcase their work, which can be useful for college applications or internships.
- Visual Learning: With access to thousands of templates, students can create infographics, posters, and other visual aids to help with their studies.
- Easy to Use: The drag-and-drop feature means you don’t need advanced design skills to create stunning projects.
- Resource Library: Students have access to a vast library of stock photos, icons, and graphics, adding a professional touch to their work.
- Assignment Submission: Canva allows students to submit their assignments directly through the platform, making the process streamlined and paperless.
Finding a resource that is both powerful and budget-friendly can be a daunting task. However, Canva Pro’s offering for K-12 teachers and students is a game-changer. With its range of features designed to facilitate classroom activities, from assignment sharing to real-time feedback, Canva Pro goes beyond being just a design tool. It integrates seamlessly with other educational platforms like Google Classroom and Moodle, making it a versatile addition to any educational setting.
The most compelling aspect is the cost – free for eligible users. This is a long-term solution for educators and students looking to enhance their visual content and classroom interaction.